Significant research and investment has gone into investigating the active constituents of Sero -X. The answer lies in a unique group of compounds called Cyclotides. The discovery of these compounds is perhaps the most exciting outcome of the whole project.
The Significance of Cyclotides
Cyclotides have been reported to have a wide range of biological activities, including anti-HIV, insecticidal, antitumour, antifouling, anti-microbial, hemolytic, neurotensin antagonism, trypsin inhibition, and uterotonic activities.
The potent insecticidal activity of cyclotides has prompted the belief that cyclotides act as plant host-defence agents. The observations that dozens or more cyclotides may be present in a single plant and the cyclotide architecture displayed suggest that, cyclotides may be able to target many pests/pathogens simultaneously.
Cyclotides in Sero-X
Sero-X has an abundance of a number of different types of Cyclotides which are considered an important component of the biologically active part of the the products numerous compounds.
Research continues to understand how these and other compounds assist in the control of insect pests
Understanding Peptides and Cyclotides
● Peptides are a small chain of amino acids that aren’t quite long enough to be considered a full protein (less than 50 units).
● They are, in essence, the building blocks that create protein.
● Peptides are commonnly used for their anabolic effect on an athlete’s muscle mass
● Cyclotides are small disulfide rich peptides isolated from plants
● Cyclotides are exceptionally stable and are resistant to denaturation by thermal, chemical, or enzymatic treatments
● Thus they can continue to perform their function after manipulation/extraction from the plant
● They are a Secondary Plant Compound – a defensive peptide thatprotects against pest